trackleaders.com

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

New gear!

Today was a big fail in terms of purging my heaps of materialism.  My boss gave me a $100 gift certificate to REI.  So I looked at items that I would like to have but would not have gotten myself.

My bike gloves are tattered scraps of cloth that have no function other than make my hands look like they are from a Mad Max movie.  The new Cannonndale gel padded gloves make my hands feel like they are wrapped in a cozy blanket while also giving them some protection.  Now when I fall I wont tear off half of my hand in the process.

Bought a nice water filter/purifier (First need XL).  Doesn't have the frills of other filters but it does a great job.  It is quite bulky though which might cause packing issues.

Also purchased was a 6L Dromedary (a rugged water container basically)... I now can carry up to 3.5 days of water which is completely overkill for this trip but will be good for large backpacking trips and touring outside of the states.

Only have a couple items left to get and I am all set to go; still need spare batteries, tent stakes, and bear mace.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Man, if the first need xl is too bulky check out the lifesaver bottle. Filter pore size of 15 nanometers, has built in carbon filter, a 2.5L/min flow rate and filters 4000L on one cartridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were much more expensive last time I looked at them but for $160 it isnt too bad especially considering the capacity. Though it is not a purifier just a filter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im confused, Why is the lifesaver not a purifier? The membrane pores are 0.015 microns

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are correct it does take out viruses. The lifesaver does a better job at filtering viruses but considering the fact that the US does not have any problem in that area it isnt my main concern.

    It is roughly the same size the First Needs is 16 oz while Lifesaver is 22 oz.

    The lifesaver gives 11.1 L/dollar while the XL is only 5.1 L/dollar (if I bought it online I could have got it for cheaper and bring that to 6.4 L/dollar). However the lifesaver doesn't have the ability to continually pump so filling up my 6L container will be a little more hassle but not by much.

    The lifesaver carbon filter is recommended being changed every 250 Liters. Also it is recommended changing the pre-filter every 6-12 months (lets say two pre-filters for good measure). Buying filters for 2000 L brings it to 8.3 L/dollar

    I dont have to worry about changing anything on the XL so that saves on caring extra filters and is a little more convenient...

    I'll do some more contemplating to see if I will return the XL and get a Lifesaver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess on a long enough time line the lifesaver would end up costing more per liter.

    What does the XL need to maintain filtration?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replacement canister after 570L (150 gal). Needs to be backwashed to ensure good flow rates (5 drops of bleach in 1 qt of water). It also can be set to use matrix pumping which is nice (no hands -> gravity does it for you).

    So really to get 4000L I would need six replacement canisters ($360) add that with the initial cost comes to $470 so over the same lifetime of the Lifesaver the XL give 8.5 l/dollar.

    Crazy me only calculated the lifesaver to 2000L but its lifetime is 4000L so you would need 16 replacement carbon filters ($100). Bringing it in at $295 for 13.5 l/dollar

    The 6000L lifesaver comes in at 18.5 l/dollar (I would have trouble even coming close to 6000L in five years).

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG - you guys do remember that you are just talking about a water bottle - right! I'll hose you down at no cost...

    ReplyDelete