trackleaders.com

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Water Cunundrum

So after more thought and disscussion with my friend Darren I am back to being undecided how I want to get my water.

Both the First Need XL and Lifesaver are not nessessery for travel in the US as water borne viruses are not a problem here.  Though roughly 90% of our streams have Giardia so a filter of at least .2 um is needed this would also eliminate any worry of pesticides and toxic chemicals.

Though if I ever decide to cycle in developing nations then viruses become an issue.  So I would have to either have a ceramic filter and some type of chemical or boil it.  If I boil it then added fuel consumption becomes an issue also the time requirement for boiling needs to be taken into account (though since I would be traveling on my own schedule really time isnt so much of an issue).

If I dont want to boil the water I would need a purifier which looks like the Lifesaver would be my choice; I would have to carry not only the weight of the bottle but also the extra filters...

So added weight of fuel vs Lifesaver and filters. 

Enough of this talk of logistics... more cycling!

.

3 comments:

  1. So much confusion for something so simple. I may get the jerry can for the van but I think that will be overkill considering I already have a good storage tank and have space for lots more. The carbon filters on the lifesaver are optional but I would use them.

    A nice sunny day and a fresnel lens will do just fine to boil water if you have the time. larger lenses can do it quicker and also cook food.

    btw, if you figure out how to filter soap out of water let me know. Id love to be able to re-use my grey water tank liquid. I suppose I could figure out a way to not use soap, maybe use baking soda and vinegar as my main cleaners but I don't know if that would harm the membrane in the lifesaver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that fresnel lenses can only be used during the day and in nice weather makes them more of a luxury item, I would rather not carry another piece of gear that I can only use every now and again.

    Sand filters are the only way I know of filtering grey water in a practical way. http://ecoexist.net/archives/61

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, duh, carry your urine in a snake skin, like bear grills? ner...

    ReplyDelete