trackleaders.com

Monday, July 25, 2011

Route info and the gear saga continues.

So I have been asked several times to show the route that I am taking so I did a quick sketch.



The Red route is the Great Divide Route (Tour Divide).  The green are alternate routes that depend on time, weather, and what I feel like doing.  The green routes in Colorado depends on if I leave from Boulder or Lakewood.


1: Follows along US HWY 2 mostly
2: Follows Canada HWY 3
3: Route 1 (Trans-Canada) to HWY 5 (to make it a little more interesting 5a can be used which bypasses Kamloops)

I am looking at importing the gps route into google earth and then you can track me with google latitude plug-in.  I will give more info on this after I have it set up tonight.  The usefulness of this is highly dependent on my phones gps signal though.

Went shopping for three hours with the family yesterday, as the Brits would say my nephew was wobbling (their slang for tantrum)... I survived that so the Tour Divide should be a piece of cake.  Gear I picked up:

bear spray
cable lock
food
13/14/15/16mm cone wrenches (really only need the 13/15mm ones but it came in a set)
Avid Disc Brake bleed kit
AA batteries
AAA batteries
2303 Batteries (for my bike computer)
GP1 Ergon grips
LP2r Flashlights*
Romisen RC-N3 Flashlight*
Katadyn  Combi microfilter**

*I already have spectacular LED flashlights (Solarforce L2) but they take a 18650 rechargeable battery which takes ~6hrs to charge so is not very useful for this trip.  The LP2r and Romisen take AA batteries so I wont have to worry about charging just replacing (I know I am a horrible consumer by doing this but one must sacrifice sometimes).  I bought two as they are from online companies and I was not sure if the LP2r would arrive in time and it is not essential enough to wait for, lets hope at least one of them arrives by Friday.  If not then I will rely on my headlamp and have my brother ship the flashlights to a town ahead of me on the road so I can pick them up.

**Hopefully my final purchase on a water filter.  It has a ceramic core so lasts for 13000 gal with a replaceable carbon core.  Still wont filter out viruses so I would have to use either use tablets or boiling to take care of them.

Gear I still need:

Sunscreen
Duct Tape
Restock my first aid kit
Hydraulic brake line
Bandana
Spare spokes
Painter Tarp

Off to go play with the bike rack mounting.

3 comments:

  1. I still wish Spot was going with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who used to work at Denali. Am trying to find him.

    Will post a photo of Qi Kong Bear Frolicks that we practiced in class this morning. Both my teachers posed so you will have an addition to your not-quite-bearable collection. Off to teach Tai Chi now.

    ReplyDelete